Friday, March 31, 2017

Call me Tech Master

I've always thought of myself as a good tech person. I know how to use computers and different apps, I help my parents and my grandparents with their issues, and I always find a way around my technological problems. BUT I THOUGHT WRONG. I downloaded iBook author about a week ago and I still can't insert a picture into my cover!

Everytime I tied to insert a picture from iPhoto, it said that I needed to "open" it, but the application was open! The struggle was real.



HOWEVER, call me a Steve Jobs because I have figured it all out! I am using two programs... Canva and iBooks Author. How my one ask? Well, as the intellectual that I am I observed the two programs thoroughly. I realized that the design program from iBooks was not only hard to use but also just plain boring. There weren't many creative opportunities at all, shame Apple (I still love you). However, I looked at Canva and I was amazed. The options for layouts, backgrounds, and templates made iBook Author look like one of those old Nokia flip phones. The main issue afterwards was the fact that my magazine is digital and therefore interactive. I needed the interactive aspect that iBook Author offers but I also needed the design aspect available in Canva. After thinking for a while about this debacle, I had the brilliant idea to use both of this programs and create a iBook-Canna baby. What I am going to do it design the cover page, the table of context and the article layout with Canva, save it and download it as a PDF. Then, I am going to drag the PDF into iBooks where I can enlarge the PDF so that it covers the entire magazine frame and add the interactive aspects of the magazine. I hope it turns out the way I want it to turn out! Fingers crossed!!!!!! 

Look, this is what I did to try out if this idea would work. 

1. Made a little cover page in Canva and downloaded it as a PDF...
(Ignore the picture, this is not my actual picture I'm jut trying out this layout)


2. I dragged it to iBook and it ended up looking like this...


As you can see at the end, I'm still able to add "widgets" that will give the magazine its interactive aspect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment